Yemen's Houthis claim strikes on Saudi ships, arms depot

Yenişafak English AA
00:33, 18/08/2026, TuesdayU: Update: 01:03, 18/08/2026, Tuesday
AA
Yemen's Houthis claim strikes on Saudi ships, arms depot
AA
Houthi military spokesman Yahya Saree

Houthi military spokesman Yahya Saree said Monday that the group's forces targeted several Saudi naval vessels and a weapons depot in a coordinated missile and drone assault, claiming some ships were sunk or set ablaze while the rest sustained severe damage in the Red Sea operation.

Houthi military spokesman Yahya Saree said Monday that Yemeni forces had conducted a wide-ranging assault against Saudi targets, striking naval vessels off the coast and a weapons depot in Marib province with ballistic missiles and drones.

Naval and ground targets hit

Saree stated that a Saudi amphibious transport ship and accompanying naval vessels were hit in a "precise" aerial attack involving "a number of" ballistic missiles. He said several of the targeted ships had been sunk while the rest had caught fire. Houthi forces also struck a weapons depot at the Sahn al-Jin camp in Yemen's central-eastern Marib province with multiple drones, the spokesman added.

Saudi confirmation pending

The claims have not been confirmed by Saudi authorities. The announcement comes as fears mount of a return to full-scale conflict in Yemen, with regional tensions already heightened by the ongoing war between Iran and the United States.

Protracted conflict

In 2014, the Iran-backed Houthis overran much of Yemen including the capital Sanaa, leading to years of war against government forces backed by a Saudi-led coalition. Since the 2023 Israel-Gaza conflict erupted, the group has carried out missile attacks on Israel and commercial shipping in the Red Sea.

Comments
Avatar

Comments you share on our site are a valuable resource for other users. Please be respectful of different opinions and other users. Avoid using rude, aggressive, derogatory, or discriminatory language.

Page End
Turkey's Accumulation. International Media Group.

Welcome to the news source that sets Turkey's agenda! With its impartial, dynamic, and in-depth journalism, Yeni Şafak offers its readers an experience beyond current events. Get instant updates on what's happening in Turkey and worldwide, with news spanning a wide range from politics and economy to culture, arts, and sports. Access the most accurate information anytime, anywhere with its digital platforms; keep up with the agenda with Yeni Şafak!

Follow us on social media.
Download Mobile Apps

Carry the agenda in your pocket! With Yeni Şafak's mobile apps, get instant access to the latest news. A wide range of content, from politics to economy, sports to culture and arts, is at your fingertips! Easily download it on your iOS, Android, and Huawei devices to quickly access the most accurate information anytime, anywhere. Download now, don't miss out on developments around the world!

Categories
Albayrak Media

Maltepe Mah. Fetih Cad. No:6 34010 Zeytinburnu/İstanbul, Türkiye[email protected]+90 212 467 6515

LEGAL DISCLAIMER

The BIST name and logo are protected under a 'Protection Trademark Certificate' and cannot be used, quoted, or modified without permission. All information disclosed under the BIST name is fully copyrighted by BIST and may not be republished. Market data is provided by iDealdata Financial Technologies Inc. BIST stock data is delayed by 15 minutes.

© Net Medya, All right reserved. 2026