Iraq seeks Iranian clarification over drone attack on Kurdish premier
00:34, 18/08/2026, TuesdayU: Update: 01:04, 18/08/2026, Tuesday
AA

AA
File photoIraqi Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein demanded official clarification from Tehran regarding a drone attack targeting the residence of Kurdish Regional Government premier Masrour Barzani, warning that the strike sets a dangerous precedent amid already heightened regional tensions.
Iraq's Foreign Ministry on Monday requested official clarification from Iran after a drone attack targeted the residence and private office of Masrour Barzani, the premier of the country's Kurdish Regional Government, warning that the incident establishes a dangerous precedent. The strike was carried out using Hadid-110 drones, the ministry said in a statement.
Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein discussed the incident with Iranian counterpart Abbas Araghchi by phone, condemning the "unjustified attack" and requesting a clarification of Tehran's official position. Hussein noted that while Iran had previously justified strikes in the Kurdistan region by citing opposition groups, this attack directly targeted the regional premier's residence. "This creates a dangerous precedent that could heighten tensions and threaten regional stability," he said, stressing that such actions constitute a "dangerous escalation" with negative consequences for Iraq's security.
Tehran denies involvement
Araghchi expressed surprise over the attack and said he had no information indicating it had been launched from Iranian territory, according to the Iraqi statement. He said there was "no justification" for such actions given the "positive and strong relations" between Tehran and the Kurdish Regional Government, particularly with the region's two main political parties. Araghchi promised to issue an official statement outlining Iran's position and rejected any action that could "fuel escalation or destabilize the region," Hussein told him.
Investigation ordered
Following the attack, Iraqi Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi ordered the formation of an investigative committee to identify the attack's source, launch point, and perpetrators, his office said. The development comes amid high regional tensions since February, when Israel and the US launched coordinated attacks on Iran's military, nuclear and energy infrastructure. On June 18, Iran and the US signed a memorandum of understanding through Pakistani and Qatari mediation, ending hostilities and beginning negotiations toward a final agreement, though talks later stalled due to disputes about maritime security and freedom of navigation through the Strait of Hormuz.
Comments you share on our site are a valuable resource for other users. Please be respectful of different opinions and other users. Avoid using rude, aggressive, derogatory, or discriminatory language.